NumPy 0.9.5 adds a few new features and bug-fixes:
The name of the array scalars has been changed from <x>_arrtype to
<x>scalar to reflect the fact that they are no longer the sole flag-bearer of the array data-type. The dtype objects do that.
- Names containing arrtype in numerictypes.py have been changed to sctype.
- The elements of unicode arrays are now always 4-byte UCS4 unencoded
- full code-point characters. On narrow Python builds (where the unicode strings is 2-byte characters) conversion is done on element access using surrogate pairs.
- Masked arrays with non-trivial masks are now supported better
- in ufuncs
- A single axis= argument added to cross.
- A .field method was added to recarray subclass for numarray compatibility
- and easy field-order access.
- The dtype objects can now be indexed using field names and have a few new
- attributes: (shape, base, hasobject)
- The coercion rules were fixed so that an integer scalar is not
- seen as a negative integer unless it is actually negative.
- The optimized blas dot function was improved and fixed
- The flat iterator object now exposes coords and index attributes
- There were several improvements made to numpy.distutils:
- the search for site.cfg now looks in three standard places.
- improvements to compiler detection in numpy.distutils.
- pyrex support added to numpy.distutils
- many more...
NumPy now compiles with Microsoft MSVC compiler.
- The -1 entry (field-order entry) of the fields dictionary is now always
- a tuple.
- The .view method of arrays was modified to never return scalars.
- The arange function was made more accurate for floating point arrays.
The C-API MACROS PyArray_BYTES(arr) and PyArray_DATA(arr) can both get at
- the array data: the former returns char * and the latter void *.
- More tests were added, especially for nested records and unicode arrays.
- Equality and inequality testing with None returns False and True
- A long-standing bug in dot (present in Numeric) on multidimensional
- arrays fixed.
ScipyTest renamed to NumpyTest (ScipyTest still available for
- Object data-type is not allowed as sub-types of record arrays.
- An error is now raised.
- Coercion rules were moved to the C-API and used in other array functions
- such as choose, clip, etc.
- Long integers now convert to int64 integers in array if possible.
- The string and unicode_ data-types don't print NULL bytes anymore.
- Other bug-fixes.